Saturday, 23 May 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • White
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > World News > Indigenous Women Fight To Search 1950s CIA-Funded Human Experiments Site
World News

Indigenous Women Fight To Search 1950s CIA-Funded Human Experiments Site

Last updated: August 30, 2024 8:18 pm
Share
Indigenous Women Fight To Search 1950s CIA-Funded Human Experiments Site
SHARE

Between 1831 and 1996, some 150,000 Indigenous children were taken from their homes.

Montreal:

A group of Indigenous women are hoping to stop the bulldozers at a former Montreal hospital which they believe could hold the truth about children still missing from a grisly half-century-old CIA experiment.

They have spent the last two years trying to delay the construction project by McGill University and the Quebec government.

“They took our children and had all kinds of things done to them. They were experimenting on them,” said Kahentinetha, an 85-year-old activist from the Mohawk community of Kahnawake, southwest of Montreal, who goes by just one name.

The activists are relying on archives and testimonies that suggest the site contains unmarked graves of children formerly interned at the Royal Victoria Hospital and Allan Memorial Institute, a neighbouring psychiatric hospital.

In the 1950s and 1960s, behind the austere walls of the old psychiatric institute, the US Central Intelligence Agency funded a human experiments program called MK Ultra.

During the Cold War, the program aimed to develop procedures and drugs to effectively brainwash people.

Experiments were conducted in Britain, Canada and the United States, subjecting people — including Indigenous children in Montreal — to electroshocks, hallucinogenic drugs, and sensory deprivation.

“They wanted to erase us,” said Kahentinetha.

A leading figure in the Indigenous rights movement who has travelled to Britain and the United States to denounce colonialism, she called this fight “the most important of (her) life.”

“We want to know why they did this and who’s going to take the blame for it,” she said.

See also  Stowaway Caught In Paris After Boarding Delta Flight In New York

Sniffer dogs

In the fall of 2022, the mothers obtained an injunction to suspend work on a new university campus and research centre at the site — a project worth Can$870 million (US$643 million).

Fellow activist Kwetiio, 52, who also uses just one name, said they insisted on arguing the case themselves without lawyers, “because in our ways, no one speaks for us.”

Last summer, sniffer dogs and specialized probes were brought in to search the property’s expansive and dilapidated buildings. They managed to identify three areas of interest for excavations.

But, according to McGill and the government’s Societe Quebecoise des Infrastructure (SQI), “no human remains have been discovered.”

The Mohawk mothers accuse the university and the government infrastructure agency of breaching an agreement by selecting the archaeologists who did the search and then ending their work too soon.

“They gave themselves the power to lead the investigation of crimes that were potentially committed by their own employees in the past,” says Philippe Blouin, an anthropologist working with the mothers.

Even though their appeal was dismissed earlier this month, they have vowed to continue their fight.

“People should know history, so that it does not repeat itself,” said Kwetiio.

In recent years, Canada has opened its eyes to past atrocities.

Generations of Indigenous children were sent to residential schools where they were stripped of their language, culture and identities in what a 2015 truth and reconciliation report said amounted to “cultural genocide.”

Between 1831 and 1996, some 150,000 Indigenous children were taken from their homes and placed in 139 such schools. Several thousand never returned to their communities.

See also  GOP Lawmaker Under Fire For Wild 'Prime Minister' Comment About Elon Musk

In May 2021, the discovery of unmarked graves of 215 children at the Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia started a national reflection on this dark chapter of Canadian history, while sparking searches for more graves across Canada.

“It was not only residential schools, it involved hospitals, sanatoriums, churches and orphanages too,” said Kwetiio.

For her, what is most important is shedding light on what happened in order for “things to change,” and to recreate “the harmony that we had before colonialism.”

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

TAGGED:1950sCIAFundedExperimentsfighthumanIndigenousSearchsiteWomen
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article USMNT summer transfer grades: Matt Turner’s loan move to Crystal Palace not ideal USMNT summer transfer grades: Matt Turner’s loan move to Crystal Palace not ideal
Next Article Britney Spears, Leah Remini & More Britney Spears, Leah Remini & More
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

This Frida Kahlo Painting Could Shatter Auction Records

In less than two minutes during a Sotheby’s auction in 2021, Frida Kahlo's self-portrait "Diego…

September 23, 2025

The 10 Best Noise-Canceling Headphones To Shop For Now

Sennheiser PXC 550-II Photo: Sennheiser Shop here. Finally, the Sennheiser PXC 550-II offers a premium…

January 13, 2025

IndyCar champion crushes Lando Norris’ “talking nonsense” remark against Max Verstappen with bold claim

Alex Palou, the reigning IndyCar champion, has recently expressed his support for Max Verstappen's bold…

December 3, 2025

Fresh Sets Examines the Fine Art of Nail Art

In the world of nail art, the boundaries between beauty, fashion, and fine art are…

April 15, 2025

NYC subways see dip in crime since NYPD began patrolling trains overnight

New York City subways have experienced a decline in crime since the implementation of overnight…

March 20, 2025

You Might Also Like

Highlanders show fight in loss to Hurricanes
World News

Highlanders show fight in loss to Hurricanes

May 23, 2026
Evacuation Ordered In California After Chemical Tank Leak
World News

Evacuation Ordered In California After Chemical Tank Leak

May 23, 2026
Neo-nazi antisemetic conspiracy theorist unleashes vile Jewish attack in latest sick social media stunt: ‘Your Holocaust was fake’
World News

Neo-nazi antisemetic conspiracy theorist unleashes vile Jewish attack in latest sick social media stunt: ‘Your Holocaust was fake’

May 22, 2026
Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia : NPR
World News

Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia : NPR

May 22, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?