Friday, 22 May 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • White
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > Crime > Man charged after 9-hour knife standoff inside Chicago federal courthouse
Crime

Man charged after 9-hour knife standoff inside Chicago federal courthouse

Last updated: July 27, 2025 4:45 pm
Share
Man charged after 9-hour knife standoff inside Chicago federal courthouse
SHARE

A Chicago Man Faces Federal Charges After Courthouse Standoff

A Chicago man has been federally charged after allegedly triggering a nine-and-a-half-hour standoff inside the city’s main federal courthouse earlier this week.

Mario Santoyo, 38, is accused of entering the Dirksen Federal Building at 219 South Dearborn Street around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, seeking to speak with the FBI about people he claimed were trying to kill him. According to a federal complaint, when a court security officer told him the FBI doesn’t have an office there and he needed to leave, Santoyo pulled a knife and held it to his throat, threatening to harm himself.

His actions triggered a massive law enforcement response that forced the evacuation of the courthouse, halted ongoing trials and hearings, and effectively shut down federal operations in the building for the day, officials said.

The Everett M. Dirksen U.S. Courthouse (General Services Administration)

Authorities say Santoyo remained in the lobby with the knife and a dark bag of unknown contents until federal officers used non-lethal force to take him into custody at 7:55 p.m. He was transported to a hospital for treatment.

On Thursday, federal prosecutors charged Santoyo with possession of a dangerous weapon in a federal facility with intent to use it in the commission of a crime. The charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in federal prison. A judge ordered him held in federal custody pending a detention hearing set for this Thursday.

U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros condemned the disruption caused by the incident, calling it an attack on the functioning of federal justice: “There will be zero tolerance for violence against federal officials or the work of the federal government,” he said in a written statement.

See also  Leo Grillo charged with attempted kidnapping over plot against ex employee

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

TAGGED:9HourchargedChicagoCourthouseFederalknifemanstandoff
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article How To Pick the Next Apple Stock, According to Warren Buffett How To Pick the Next Apple Stock, According to Warren Buffett
Next Article 8 Hydrating Electrolyte Powders That Help Banish Bloating 8 Hydrating Electrolyte Powders That Help Banish Bloating
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

Scott Peterson beat up during prison yard pickleball match: report

Scott Peterson, the notorious wife-killer, was reportedly involved in an altercation with another inmate during…

March 11, 2025

Learning One Word Could Help Prevent a Third of Alzheimer’s Cases

Alzheimer's disease (AD) stands poised to become one of the most significant public health crises…

September 23, 2025

Trump trolls Taylor Swift after singer is ‘booed’ at Super Bowl 2025

President Trump Mocks Taylor Swift for Getting Booed at Super Bowl LIX President Trump took…

February 9, 2025

Sen. Warren Calls for Investigation Into Paramount’s Trump Settlement

Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren Criticizes Paramount Global for $16 Million Payment to Trump Democratic Sen.…

July 2, 2025

The Supreme Court just blew up a major environmental law

The recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in favor of the controversial Utah railway…

June 3, 2025

You Might Also Like

CPD officer may be unable to eat solid food for months after McKinley Park attack
Crime

CPD officer may be unable to eat solid food for months after McKinley Park attack

May 22, 2026
Yes on mandatory jail for fraud against taxpayers
Crime

Yes on mandatory jail for fraud against taxpayers

May 21, 2026
Feds charge man with ramming ICE vehicle during Operation Midway Blitz
Crime

Feds charge man with ramming ICE vehicle during Operation Midway Blitz

May 21, 2026
Ex-‘gay cure’ ministry leader Alan Chambers allegedly tried to meet boy for sex: cops
Crime

Ex-‘gay cure’ ministry leader Alan Chambers allegedly tried to meet boy for sex: cops

May 21, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?