Saturday, 23 May 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • White
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > World News > Academy apologizes for initial statement after attack on Hamdan Ballal : NPR
World News

Academy apologizes for initial statement after attack on Hamdan Ballal : NPR

Last updated: March 29, 2025 11:10 pm
Share
Academy apologizes for initial statement after attack on Hamdan Ballal : NPR
SHARE



Hamdan Ballal, Oscar-winning Palestinian director of No Other Land, is released from a police station in the West Bank settlement of Kiryat Arba a day after being detained by the Israeli army following an attack by Jewish settlers, on Tuesday.

Leo Correa/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Leo Correa/AP

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences issued a statement to its members on Friday apologizing for not adequately expressing its support of the Palestinian Oscar-winning filmmaker Hamdan Ballal.

Ballal, who won this year’s feature-length documentary Academy Award for co-directing the film No Other Land about the difficulties of life under Israeli occupation, said he was attacked on Monday by Israeli settlers. He was then arrested by the Israeli army. Israeli authorities released the director the following day, saying Ballal had been detained for hurling stones. The filmmaker and witnesses deny this accusation.

The Academy’s initial statement in response to the alleged attack, sent out on Wednesday to its roughly 11,000 members, did not include Ballal’s name or the title of his film.

Co-signed by Academy CEO Bill Kramer and President Janet Yang, the Wednesday statement spoke in generalities, such as, “The Academy condemns harming or suppressing artists for their work or their viewpoints,” and, “We believe deeply in the ability of film to illuminate, to provoke thought, and to bridge divides by offering a window into diverse human experiences.”

See also  'We didn't start this war but under President Trump we’re finishing it' : NPR

Kramer and Yang’s updated statement, sent out on Friday and shared by the Academy’s press office on Saturday via email with NPR, was more explicit:

“We regret that we failed to directly acknowledge Mr. Ballal and the film by name,” it said. “We sincerely apologize to Mr. Ballal and all artists who felt unsupported by our previous statement and want to make it clear that the Academy condemns violence of this kind anywhere in the world.”

The apology appeared after a wave of online protests against the Academy — first for not responding to Ballal’s attack, and then for not responding adequately to it.

“Sadly, the US Academy, which awarded us an Oscar three weeks ago, declined to publicly support Hamdan Ballal while he was beaten and tortured by Israeli soldiers and settlers,” wrote No Other Land co-director Yuval Abraham on X on Wednesday, before Kramer and Yang released their first statement.

“Several US Academy members — especially in the documentary branch — pushed for a statement, but it was ultimately refused. We were told that because other Palestinians were beaten up in the settler attack, it could be considered unrelated to the film, so they felt no need to respond,” Abraham wrote.

After Kramer and Yang’s initial statement was issued, a large group of Academy members launched a letter of protest on Friday against it. Among the signatories, which had exceeded 800 in number at the time of writing, are Hollywood A-listers including Pedro Pascal, Joaquin Phoenix, Olivia Colman, Steve Buscemi and America Ferrera.

See also  Meet five new species discovered in 2025 : NPR

“The statement by Bill Kramer and Janet Yang fell far short of the sentiments this moment calls for,” the protest letter states above the signatures. “Therefore we are issuing our own statement, which speaks for the undersigned members of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.”

In an email on Saturday, the Academy told NPR its updated apology naming Ballal and his film was already in the works prior to the much-signed protest petition, but that the 55-member board needed to convene before it could be released, requiring additional time.

The incident involving Ballal highlights the ongoing outbursts of violence in the West Bank. Attacks on Palestinians have escalated since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza in October 2023.

TAGGED:AcademyapologizesAttackBallalHamdaninitialNPRstatement
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Seth Rollins is ambushed by WWE fans in Italy ahead of SmackDown Seth Rollins is ambushed by WWE fans in Italy ahead of SmackDown
Next Article Sam Altman firing drama detailed in new book excerpt Sam Altman firing drama detailed in new book excerpt
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

This Viral Tanning Butter Gives a ‘Glowing Tan’ After One Application

Are you dreaming of a tropical vacation but don't have the time or funds to…

February 2, 2026

Trump Economy Roars Ahead with Big Private Sector Job Gains – The White House

“The April jobs report exceeding expectations due to strong private-sector growth is a further indication…

May 8, 2026

An antibiotic resistance breakthrough offers hope

The battle against drug-resistant infections is an ongoing struggle, with the need for new classes…

December 17, 2025

Scientists urge Trump administration to fight threat of bird flu pandemic

The United States is facing a serious threat from the H5N1 bird flu outbreak, with…

April 28, 2025

Douglas County roadway to be renamed after STEM school shooting victim

Douglas County Renames Road in Honor of Kendrick Castillo Douglas County officials have made the…

August 28, 2024

You Might Also Like

Evacuation Ordered In California After Chemical Tank Leak
World News

Evacuation Ordered In California After Chemical Tank Leak

May 23, 2026
Neo-nazi antisemetic conspiracy theorist unleashes vile Jewish attack in latest sick social media stunt: ‘Your Holocaust was fake’
World News

Neo-nazi antisemetic conspiracy theorist unleashes vile Jewish attack in latest sick social media stunt: ‘Your Holocaust was fake’

May 22, 2026
Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia : NPR
World News

Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia : NPR

May 22, 2026
Old Golds to start Heartland at home
World News

Old Golds to start Heartland at home

May 22, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?