Thursday, 21 May 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • White
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > Crime > As feds scale back ‘costly’ federal consent decrees, retired suburban chief applauds
Crime

As feds scale back ‘costly’ federal consent decrees, retired suburban chief applauds

Last updated: June 10, 2025 5:51 am
Share
As feds scale back ‘costly’ federal consent decrees, retired suburban chief applauds
SHARE

Chicago Police Department Consent Decree: A Closer Look

By Jim Talamonti

(The Center Square) – The Trump administration has scaled back federal oversight of police departments, but Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul remains a strong supporter of the consent decree in Chicago.

The U.S. Department of Justice began the process of dismissing lawsuits against police departments in Louisville and Minneapolis last month and announced it would close investigations into six other cities.

Retired Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel said ending the decrees was a good move.

“There is no consent in consent decrees. They are what I would consider to be legal extortion, and I say that because when the Department of Justice says that your agency is going to fall under a consent decree and you are going to agree to it, if you do not agree to it, they sue you in court to bring you into compliance,” Weitzel told The Center Square. “The other mechanism they have that scares municipalities and cities is they will stop all federal funding to you.”

Chicago’s consent decree with the state of Illinois was approved in 2019 and remains in place.

The DOJ’s moves last month have “no direct impact” on the Chicago decree, an ACLU of Illinois spokesperson told The Center Square.

Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul has long supported the federal consent decree for the Chicago Police Department.

Last November, Raoul filed an amicus brief calling for the continuation of public access to hearings in serious disciplinary matters involving Chicago Police Department officers. Raoul’s brief, filed in the Illinois Appellate Court, argued that moving hearings behind closed doors would undermine both the state’s consent decree with the city and public confidence in CPD.

See also  Police claim alleged Bondi Beach gunman Naveed Akram had recorded videos outlining shooting, vowed to attack 'Zionists'

In a letter to Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, Raoul urged Johnson to reconsider proposed budget cuts involving the police department’s implementation of consent decree reforms.

“Now is not the time to undermine the progress the Department is making through unwise budget cuts,” Raoul wrote.

Chicago’s Citizen Office of Police Accountability did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Weitzel said consent decrees are costly to taxpayers in Illinois and around the country.

“That’s millions, let’s be clear, millions of dollars on these offices to have to manage the consent decree. Think about that in a smaller, suburban municipality. They literally cannot afford that,” Weitzel said.

The retired chief said politicians and residents can encourage consent decrees by filing complaints.

“Those are usually politically-motivated letters that a politician has to further their own personal agenda. It’s not to improve policing or the police department,” Weitzel said.

Weitzel insisted that he is not against reform.

“Are there some agencies that needed to have policies and procedures reviewed? There are,” Weitzel said. “The consent decree is not the mechanism that should be used. It takes away all policing from the local community and the chief just becomes a figurehead.”

Along with the state’s attorney general, the ACLU of Illinois remains a staunch advocate of the consent decree in Chicago.

“Many police agencies – especially in Chicago – are broken and need sustained, focused attention with court oversight to be reformed. The ACLU of Illinois is committed to this process, and to seeing reforms through,” the organization stated on its official website.

See also  Convicted killer Bradley John Murdoch to make bombshell ‘deathbed’ statement

You can contact CWBChicago and provide anonymous tips by email: news@cwbchicago.com

TAGGED:applaudschiefConsentCostlydecreesFederalfedsRetiredscaleSuburban
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Maggie Beer to divest dairy arm Maggie Beer to divest dairy arm
Next Article WATCH: Masked LA Rioters Loot Local Sushi Restaurant in Little Tokyo, Steal Cash Registers… That’ll Show ICE! | WATCH: Masked LA Rioters Loot Local Sushi Restaurant in Little Tokyo, Steal Cash Registers… That’ll Show ICE! |
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

The deal that has spurred Apollo’s plan to remake Wall Street

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite…

May 17, 2025

Blood-Red Landscapes by Andrew McIntosh Conjure the Terrifying Unknown — Colossal

Scottish artist Andrew McIntosh, known for his dreamy use of soft blues, grays, and oranges,…

May 18, 2026

11 startups from YC Demo Day that investors are talking about

Y Combinator’s Spring 2025 Demo Day was a showcase of the latest innovations in the…

June 13, 2025

Putin’s $50M Fighter Jet Plunges Into Black Sea After Being Shot Down by Ukraine

Vladimir Putin's military faced yet another setback in the ongoing conflict with Ukraine. Reports from…

September 14, 2024

‘Evil’ abusive dad allegedly killed baby son by burying him alive

A father with a violent history is accused of killing his infant son by partially…

March 31, 2026

You Might Also Like

Feds charge man with ramming ICE vehicle during Operation Midway Blitz
Crime

Feds charge man with ramming ICE vehicle during Operation Midway Blitz

May 21, 2026
Ex-‘gay cure’ ministry leader Alan Chambers allegedly tried to meet boy for sex: cops
Crime

Ex-‘gay cure’ ministry leader Alan Chambers allegedly tried to meet boy for sex: cops

May 21, 2026
For the second time since 2020, Chicago police shoot Cordero Ramey, who prosecutors say fired at them first
Crime

For the second time since 2020, Chicago police shoot Cordero Ramey, who prosecutors say fired at them first

May 20, 2026
Florida mall where homeless man murdered shopper had ‘pattern’ of incidents: lawsuit
Crime

Florida mall where homeless man murdered shopper had ‘pattern’ of incidents: lawsuit

May 20, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?