Wednesday, 20 May 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • White
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > Crime > Tennessee governor says state is preparing for more federal agents to combat crime in Memphis
Crime

Tennessee governor says state is preparing for more federal agents to combat crime in Memphis

Last updated: September 26, 2025 1:39 pm
Share
Tennessee governor says state is preparing for more federal agents to combat crime in Memphis
SHARE

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — After weeks of anticipation, Memphis residents have received details concerning the deployment of National Guard troops to their city, announced by President Donald Trump. The plan, revealed on Friday, indicates a significant departure from previous deployments seen in cities like Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

Governor Bill Lee of Tennessee stated that the National Guard troops would be part of a comprehensive initiative to combat rising crime rates in Memphis, involving collaboration with 13 federal agencies alongside state troopers. The troops, specifically from Tennessee, will be deputized by the U.S. Marshals Service to enhance local law enforcement efforts.

Governor Lee emphasized that the National Guard members will not be authorized to make arrests and will remain unarmed unless requested by local law enforcement. Initially, he projected a limited deployment of about 150 troops, though he acknowledged that numbers are still being finalized.

Governor Bill Lee announced the National Guard deployment as part of initiatives to tackle crime in Memphis. AP
President Donald Trump previously indicated the National Guard would be sent to Memphis to assist with law enforcement. REUTERS

According to a statement on the city’s official website, “Guardsmen and women will be easily identifiable in their standard uniforms that they wear every day. The guardsmen and women will not be wearing masks.” The statement added that “armored tanks will not be a resource used in this mission.”

“The narrative surrounding crime in Memphis is about to become a relic of the past,” Lee proclaimed during a press conference alongside city officials, including the Memphis mayor and police chief.

The “Memphis Safe Task Force” is set to kick off operations as early as next week, although Governor Lee noted that the deployment would occur in phases without providing a precise timeline. He did confirm that agents from several federal agencies, including the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration, would begin arriving next week. Lee clarified that there would be no state of emergency declared.

See also  Organised crime, burners and cyber attacks: Inside Liverpool’s fight with ticket touts
“The narrative about crime in Memphis is about to change,” said Governor Lee. Stu Boyd II-The Commercial Appeal / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

Previously, Trump deployed National Guard troops to Los Angeles amidst significant opposition from Governor Gavin Newsom, who argued against federal intervention for local issues. This deployment led to a lawsuit from California challenging federal authority over state National Guard units.

In Memphis, Mayor Paul Young has adopted a practical stance, acknowledging that he had not specifically requested the National Guard presence, yet finds himself in a position to utilize the additional resources for the betterment of the community. “My priority is to ensure that these resources are utilized effectively for the benefit of our residents,” Young noted during the press conference. He also pointed out that while crime rates have seen a decline in Memphis, further effort is necessary.

As stated on the city’s website, “Guardsmen and women will not be wearing masks.” AFP via Getty Images

Both Mayor Young and Governor Lee asserted that this surge in resources is intended as a long-term commitment rather than a quick solution.

“This initiative will operate for as long as it is needed,” affirmed Lee.

“Our vision of success is a Memphis where families feel safe, where businesses thrive without concern, and where the city is recognized as one of the safest in America. That will be the true measure of success,” he added.

Alongside the federal support, Governor Lee announced that Tennessee would contribute $100 million toward Memphis’s public safety initiatives and deploy an additional 300 state troopers, allowing for 100 to be active in the area at any given time. Currently, the Memphis Police Department employs over 2,000 full-time officers complemented by more than 600 deputies in the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office, with further personnel in corrections.

See also  Tuberville announces Alabama governor run

Trump’s announcement on September 12 regarding the deployment to Memphis came via a Fox News interview, followed by an executive order on September 15 to establish the multi-agency task force.

The conversation about further deployments remains fluid, with Trump suggesting the National Guard could potentially assist cities such as Chicago in the future, pending governors’ requests.

This rewritten article maintains the original HTML structure and important information while presenting the content uniquely and integrating seamlessly for a WordPress environment.

TAGGED:agentscombatCrimeFederalGovernorMemphispreparingStateTennessee
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article ‘Stranger Things 4,’ ‘Sisi’ Filming Home Vilnius Gets Film Fund to Boost Co-Productions and Lithuania’s Capital ‘Stranger Things 4,’ ‘Sisi’ Filming Home Vilnius Gets Film Fund to Boost Co-Productions and Lithuania’s Capital
Next Article Which perimenopause treatments actually work?
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

The Small Magazines That Birthed Surrealism

He stated that "Surrealism is the most revolutionary movement that has ever existed." This sentiment…

April 27, 2025

Best money market account rates today, February 16, 2026 (Earn up to 4.01% APY)

Money market accounts (MMAs) are a popular choice for individuals looking to earn a higher…

February 16, 2026

Sinister Skies Set the Scene for Derelict Buildings in Lee Madgwick’s Surreal Paintings

Under brooding clouds and amidst vast, verdant parklands, the whimsical structures of Lee Madgwick evoke…

October 14, 2025

Trump May Have Cost Republicans The Senate With A Total Texas Disaster

In the political arena of Texas, Senate Republicans are making a significant push to bolster…

February 27, 2026

LeBron James sends Bryson DeChambeau a 2-word message following the latter’s LIV Golf Singapore win

Bryson DeChambeau emerged victorious at the LIV Golf Singapore event, securing his first win of…

March 15, 2026

You Might Also Like

Italian Beef Becomes Official Illinois State Sandwich
Entertainment

Italian Beef Becomes Official Illinois State Sandwich

May 20, 2026
Florida mall where homeless man murdered shopper had ‘pattern’ of incidents: lawsuit
Crime

Florida mall where homeless man murdered shopper had ‘pattern’ of incidents: lawsuit

May 20, 2026
Bystanders beat man and hurled him onto Blue Line tracks after he pushed woman from platform, police say
Crime

Bystanders beat man and hurled him onto Blue Line tracks after he pushed woman from platform, police say

May 20, 2026
Indiana woman, Anita Grayson, 75, dead after video catches fighting Tim Hortons manager
Crime

Indiana woman, Anita Grayson, 75, dead after video catches fighting Tim Hortons manager

May 20, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?