Thursday, 19 Feb 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • VIDEO
  • White
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Watch
  • Season
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > World News > U.S. launches strikes in Syria targeting Islamic State fighters : NPR
World News

U.S. launches strikes in Syria targeting Islamic State fighters : NPR

Last updated: December 20, 2025 2:45 am
Share
U.S. launches strikes in Syria targeting Islamic State fighters : NPR
SHARE



President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth salute as carry teams move the transfer cases with the remains of Iowa National Guard soldiers Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, 29, of Marshalltown, Iowa, and Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, 25, of Des Moines, Iowa, and civilian interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat, who were killed in an attack in Syria, during a casualty return, Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2025 at Dover Air Force Base, Del.

Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP

hide caption

toggle caption


Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration launched military strikes Friday in Syria to “eliminate” Islamic State group fighters and weapons sites in retaliation for an ambush attack that killed two U.S. troops and an American civilian interpreter almost a week ago.

A U.S. official described it as “a large-scale” strike that hit 70 targets in areas across central Syria that had IS infrastructure and weapons. Another U.S. official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive operations, said more strikes should be expected.

“This is not the beginning of a war — it is a declaration of vengeance. The United States of America, under President Trump’s leadership, will never hesitate and never relent to defend our people,” Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said on social media.

The new military operation in Syria comes even as the Trump administration has said it’s looking to focus closer to home in the Western Hemisphere, building up an armada in the Caribbean Sea as it targets alleged drug-smuggling boats and vowing to keep seizing sanctioned oil tankers as part of a pressure campaign on Venezuela’s leader. The U.S. has shifted significant resources away from the Middle East to further those goals: Its most advanced aircraft carrier arrived in South American waters last month from the Mediterranean Sea.

See also  Black police officials worry federal intervention erodes trust : NPR

Trump vowed retaliation

President Donald Trump pledged “very serious retaliation” after the shooting in the Syrian desert, for which he blamed IS. Those killed were among hundreds of U.S. troops deployed in eastern Syria as part of a coalition fighting the militant group.

During a speech in North Carolina on Friday evening, the president hailed the operation as a “massive strike” that took out the “ISIS thugs in Syria who were trying to regroup.”

Earlier, in his social media post, he reiterated his backing for Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa, who Trump said was “fully in support” of the U.S. effort.

Trump also offered an all-caps threat, warning IS against attacking American personnel again.

“All terrorists who are evil enough to attack Americans are hereby warned — YOU WILL BE HIT HARDER THAN YOU HAVE EVER BEEN HIT BEFORE IF YOU, IN ANY WAY, ATTACK OR THREATEN THE U.S.A.,” the president added.

The attack was conducted using F-15 Eagle jets, A-10 Thunderbolt ground attack aircraft, and AH-64 Apache helicopters, the U.S. officials said. F-16 fighter jets from Jordan and HIMARS rocket artillery were also used, one official added.

U.S. Central Command, which oversees the region, said in a social media post that American jets, helicopters, and artillery employed more than 100 precision munitions on Syrian targets.

How Syria has responded

The attack was a major test for the warming ties between the United States and Syria since the ouster of autocratic leader Bashar Assad a year ago. Trump has stressed that Syria was fighting alongside U.S. troops and said al-Sharaa was “extremely angry and disturbed by this attack,” which came as the U.S. military is expanding its cooperation with Syrian security forces.

See also  Jimmy Kimmel Reveals The 1 Trump Demand That Truly ‘Captures’ Him

Syria’s foreign ministry in a statement on X following the launch of U.S. strikes said that last week’s attack “underscores the urgent necessity of strengthening international cooperation to combat terrorism in all its forms” and that Syria is committed “to fighting ISIS and ensuring that it has no safe havens on Syrian territory and will continue to intensify military operations against it wherever it poses a threat.”

Syrian state television reported that the U.S. strikes hit targets in rural areas of Deir ez-Zor and Raqqa provinces and in the Jabal al-Amour area near the historic city of Palmyra. It said they targeted “weapons storage sites and headquarters used by ISIS as launching points for its operations in the region.”

IS has not said it carried out the attack on the U.S. service members, but the group has claimed responsibility for two attacks on Syrian security forces since, one of which killed four Syrian soldiers in Idlib province. The group in its statements described al-Sharaa’s government and army as “apostates.” While al-Sharaa once led a group affiliated with al-Qaida, he has had a long-running enmity with IS.

The Americans who were killed

Trump this week met privately with the families of the slain Americans at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware before he joined top military officials and other dignitaries on the tarmac for the dignified transfer, a solemn and largely silent ritual honoring U.S. service members killed in action.

The guardsmen killed in Syria last Saturday were Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, 25, of Des Moines, and Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, 29, of Marshalltown. Ayad Mansoor Sakat, of Macomb, Michigan, a U.S. civilian working as an interpreter, also was killed.

See also  Lakewood gas station fire human-caused, officials say

The shooting near Palmyra also wounded three other U.S. troops as well as members of Syria’s security forces, and the gunman was killed. The assailant had joined Syria’s internal security forces as a base security guard two months ago and recently was reassigned because of suspicions that he might be affiliated with IS, Interior Ministry spokesperson Nour al-Din al-Baba has said.

The man stormed a meeting between U.S. and Syrian security officials who were having lunch together and opened fire after clashing with Syrian guards.

TAGGED:FightersIslamicLaunchesNPRStateStrikesSyriatargetingU.S
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article 5 players in India’s 2026 T20 World Cup squad who didn’t play in 2024 ft. Varun Chakaravarthy 5 players in India’s 2026 T20 World Cup squad who didn’t play in 2024 ft. Varun Chakaravarthy
Next Article NASCAR President Spoke ‘Safety’ Before Legend Greg Biffle’s Plane Crash NASCAR President Spoke ‘Safety’ Before Legend Greg Biffle’s Plane Crash
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Until the Democrats are trusted on the economy, they won’t win again

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for freeYour guide to what Trump’s second term means…

May 8, 2025

Loneliness Is Inflaming Our Bodies—And Our Politics

Loneliness Is Inflaming Our Bodies—And Our Politics By Kim Samuel Hannah Arendt has been on…

May 16, 2025

BREAKING: Justice Department Opens Criminal Investigation Into Andrew Cuomo |

Justice Department Launches Criminal Investigation into Andrew Cuomo's Testimony The Justice Department has initiated a…

May 21, 2025

Catherine Zeta-Jones to Star in ‘Kill Jackie’ Series at Prime Video

Catherine Zeta-Jones is gearing up to star in a new revenge thriller series titled "Kill…

February 14, 2025

Championship Playoff final live stream: Sheffield United vs. Sunderland odds, where to watch, pick, prediction

The battle for the final Premier League spot for the next season is set to…

May 24, 2025

You Might Also Like

22 assessed after Levin chemical incident
World News

22 assessed after Levin chemical incident

February 19, 2026
February 19, Edison issued a patent for the phonograph
World News

February 19, Edison issued a patent for the phonograph

February 19, 2026
Traffic Disrupted At Newark Airport After JetBlue Engine Failure
World News

Traffic Disrupted At Newark Airport After JetBlue Engine Failure

February 19, 2026
A startup called Germ becomes the first private messenger that launches directly from Bluesky’s app
Tech and Science

A startup called Germ becomes the first private messenger that launches directly from Bluesky’s app

February 19, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?