Monday, 17 Aug 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • White
  • ScienceAlert
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > Economy > White House moves to overturn ruling that Trump’s tariffs are illegal
Economy

White House moves to overturn ruling that Trump’s tariffs are illegal

Last updated: May 29, 2025 8:58 am
Share
White House moves to overturn ruling that Trump’s tariffs are illegal
SHARE

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free

The White House has vowed to fight a court ruling that Donald Trump’s “liberation day” tariff scheme is illegal, as his top trade adviser said “nothing has changed” in the president’s drive to strike trade deals with other countries.

The US Court of International Trade ruled late on Wednesday that Trump did not have the authority to use the emergency economic powers legislation that he cited when he imposed sweeping global tariffs last month.

Senior White House officials said the administration would appeal against the decision, and move to stay, or put a hold, on the order.

Trump’s top trade and economic advisers also insisted there were other ways for the president to pursue his global trade war — and that negotiations for deals with other nations would carry on.

“We think we have a strong case. Yes, we will immediately appeal and try to stay the ruling,” Peter Navarro, the chief architect of Trump’s trade wars, told Bloomberg on Thursday morning.

Navarro insisted the court ruling showed the administration could also use different legal bases to impose a baseline 10 per cent tariff and higher “reciprocal” duties on many countries.

“So nothing has really changed here in that sense. We are still, as we speak, having countries call us and tell us they want a deal,” Navarro, Trump’s senior counsellor for trade and manufacturing, added. “These deals are going to happen.”

The ruling by the Court of International Trade comes as the Trump administration is pushing to cut trade deals with dozens of countries.

See also  Lower rates are encouraging for home buyers

Wall Street analysts suggested the court ruling would slow down, but not derail, the White House’s plans. US stocks rose after the decision but the rally moderated in morning trading, with the S&P 500 index up just 0.3 per cent and the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite rising 0.6 per cent.

“The administration is likely to either successfully appeal the ruling or to use other authority to keep tariff rates high and revenue substantial,” Citi analysts wrote in a note on Thursday. “For now, the ruling will complicate and potentially delay trade negotiations.”

Goldman Sachs president John Waldron told a conference in New York on Thursday that he still expected the US government to increase tariffs on most countries.

“I think we’re going to go towards a 10 per cent universal baseline tariff with individualised, targeted tariffs on top with individual countries,” Waldron said.

Kevin Hassett, director of the National Economic Council, also insisted that the Trump administration would be able to press ahead with its plans.

“Trump does always win these negotiations because we are right. We are right that America has been mishandled by other governments, that our tariffs are taking them to the table, and they are coming in with massive concessions, opening up their markets to our products and lowering their tariffs on us,” Hassett told Fox Business.

“These activist judges are trying to slow down something right in the middle of really important negotiations.”

Hassett said there were “different approaches” that the administration could take to impose tariffs if required, but added: “We’re not planning to pursue those right now because we’re very, very confident that this really is incorrect.”

See also  US pressed African countries to take in Venezuelan deportees, Nigeria says

In conclusion, despite the court ruling challenging Trump’s tariff scheme, the White House remains determined to pursue its trade deals and impose tariffs on other countries. The administration is confident in its strategy and believes it will ultimately succeed in its negotiations. Stay informed about what Trump’s second term means for Washington, business, and the world by unlocking the White House Watch newsletter for free.

TAGGED:HouseIllegalmovesoverturnrulingTariffsTrumpsWhite
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Genetics might save the rare, elusive saola — if it’s not already extinct Genetics might save the rare, elusive saola — if it’s not already extinct
Next Article Why Must Americans Pay Tariffs? Why Must Americans Pay Tariffs?
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

Anthropic to spend $50 billion on US data center buildout

Anthropic, a leading AI company, has announced a massive $50 billion investment to build AI…

November 13, 2025

US revokes first visa of foreign student linked to ‘Hamas-supporting disruptions’ on college campus

The State Department Revokes Visa of Foreign Student Linked to Hamas-Supporting Disruptions The State Department…

March 7, 2025

Shared API keys expose AI agents at 69% of enterprises, new VentureBeat research finds

Using a shared API key across multiple AI agents poses significant security risks. If one…

July 10, 2026

FDA panel urges easier access to testosterone therapy for men

The Food and Drug Administration recently convened an expert panel to discuss the black box…

December 10, 2025

MFE-MediaForEurope TV Group Launches Takeover Bid for ProSieben

MFE-MediaForEurope, a TV group controlled by the Berlusconi family, has made a bold move by…

March 26, 2025

You Might Also Like

Bill Ackman Is Buying Netflix. Should Investors Load Up, Too?
Economy

Bill Ackman Is Buying Netflix. Should Investors Load Up, Too?

August 17, 2026

Performance For the Ages” – The White House

August 17, 2026
Econergy secures 5m financing for Părău 2 project in Romania
Economy

Econergy secures $265m financing for Părău 2 project in Romania

August 17, 2026
The Hidden Cause of the Industrial Revolution (with Ben Southwood)
Economy

The Hidden Cause of the Industrial Revolution (with Ben Southwood)

August 17, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?