Wednesday, 20 May 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • ScienceAlert
  • White
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > World News > Supreme Court blocks, for now, new deportations under 18th century wartime law : NPR
World News

Supreme Court blocks, for now, new deportations under 18th century wartime law : NPR

Last updated: April 19, 2025 12:40 am
Share
Supreme Court blocks, for now, new deportations under 18th century wartime law : NPR
SHARE



Venezuelan migrants deported from the United States arrive at Simon Bolivar International Airport in Maiquetia, Venezuela, Sunday, March 30, 2025.

Cristian Hernandez/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Cristian Hernandez/AP

The Supreme Court on Saturday blocked, for now, the deportations of any Venezuelans held in northern Texas under an 18th century wartime law.

In a brief order, the court directed the Trump administration not to remove Venezuelans held in the Bluebonnet Detention Center “until further order of this court.”

Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito dissented.

The high court acted in an emergency appeal from the American Civil Liberties Union contending that immigration authorities appeared to be moving to restart removals under the Alien Enemies Act of 1798. The Supreme Court had said earlier in April that deportations could proceed only if those about to be removed had a chance to argue their case in court and were given “a reasonable time” to contest their pending removals.

“We are deeply relieved that the Court has temporarily blocked the removals. These individuals were in imminent danger of spending the rest of their lives in a brutal Salvadoran prison without ever having had any due process,” ACLU lawyer Lee Gelernt said in an email.

On Friday, two federal judges refused to step in as lawyers for the men launched a desperate legal campaign to prevent their deportation. The U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has yet to act.

See also  Ex-Trump Defense Secretary Has Chilling Reply To Trump Military Use Question

One of the judges said the case raised legitimate concerns but he could not issue an order.

The ACLU had already sued to block deportations of two Venezuelans held in the Bluebonnet facility and sought an order barring removals of any immigrants in the region under the Alien Enemies Act.

In an emergency filing early Friday, the ACLU warned that immigration authorities were accusing other Venezuelan men held there of being members of the Tren de Aragua gang, which would make them subject to President Donald Trump’s use of the act.

The act has only been invoked three previous times in U.S. history, most recently during World War II to hold Japanese-American civilians in internment camps. The Trump administration contended it gave them power to swiftly remove immigrants they identified as members of the gang, regardless of their immigration status.

Following the unanimous high court order on April 9, federal judges in Colorado, New York and southern Texas promptly issued orders barring removal of detainees under the AEA until the administration provides a process for them to make claims in court.

But there had been no such order issued in the area of Texas that covers Bluebonnet, which is located 24 miles north of Abilene in the far northern end of the state.

District Judge James Wesley Hendrix, a Trump appointee, this week declined to bar the administration from removing the two men identified in the ACLU lawsuit because Immigration and Customs Enforcement filed sworn declarations that they would not be immediately deported. He also balked at issuing a broader order prohibiting removal of all Venezuelans in the area under the act because he said removals hadn’t started yet.

See also  Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on the defensive in a brewing scandal : NPR

But the ACLU’s Friday filing included sworn declarations from three separate immigration lawyers who said their clients in Bluebonnet were given paperwork indicating they were members of Tren de Aragua and could be deported by Saturday. In one case, immigration lawyer Karene Brown said her client, identified by initials, was told to sign papers in English even though the client only spoke Spanish.

“ICE informed F.G.M. that these papers were coming from the President, and that he will be deported even if he did not sign it,” Brown wrote.

Gelernt said in a Friday evening hearing before District Judge James E. Boasberg in Washington, D.C., that the administration initially moved Venezuelans to its south Texas immigration facility for deportation. But since a judge banned deportations in that area, it has funneled them to the Bluebonnet facility, where no such order exists. He said witnesses reported the men were being loaded on buses Friday evening to be taken to the airport.

With Hendrix not agreeing to the ACLU’s request for an emergency order, the group turned to Boasberg, who initially halted deportations in March. The Supreme Court ruled the orders against deportation could only come from judges in jurisdictions where immigrants were held, which Boasberg said made him powerless Friday.

“I’m sympathetic to everything you’re saying,” Boasberg told Gelernt. “I just don’t think I have the power to do anything about it.”

Boasberg this week found there’s probable cause that the Trump administration committed criminal contempt by disobeying his initial deportation ban. He was concerned that the paper that ICE was giving those held did not make clear they had a right to challenge their removal in court, which he believed the Supreme Court mandated.

See also  Oasis reunite for nineties nostalgia trip

Drew Ensign, an attorney for the Justice Department, disagreed, saying that people slated for deportation would have a “minimum” of 24 hours to challenge their removal in court. He said no flights were scheduled for Friday night and he was unaware of any Saturday, but the Department of Homeland Security said it reserved the right to remove people then.

ICE said it would not comment on the litigation.

Also Friday, a Massachusetts judge made permanent his temporary ban on the administration deporting immigrants who have exhausted their appeals to countries other than their home countries unless they are informed of their destination and given a chance to object if they’d face torture or death there.

Some Venezuelans subject to Trump’s Alien Enemies Act have been sent to El Salvador and housed in its notorious main prison.

TAGGED:18thBlocksCenturycourtdeportationslawNPRSupremeWartime
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article WWE WrestleMania 41 match to be canceled after top SmackDown star’s injury? Exploring the last-minute possibility WWE WrestleMania 41 match to be canceled after top SmackDown star’s injury? Exploring the last-minute possibility
Next Article Gold standard tool for developers just went on sale for lowest price ever Gold standard tool for developers just went on sale for lowest price ever
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

Clio, the Art World’s “Anti-Fair,” Returns to NYC 

Clio Art Fair has managed to maintain its small but impactful presence in the art…

September 19, 2025

Elvie unveils an app-controlled smart bouncer that transforms into a bassinet at CES 2025

Elvie, a female-founded hardware startup, has introduced a groundbreaking new product at CES 2025 –…

January 6, 2025

5 Beauty Trends That Swept Paris Fashion Week

“Essentially, it’s a fantastical skin look for all,” Isamaya Ffrench remarked backstage at Thom Browne…

October 8, 2025

CVS To Buy And Operate 64 Rite Aid Stores In Pacific Northwest

CVS Health has officially confirmed its plans to acquire and operate 64 Rite Aid stores…

May 15, 2025

My Favourite Adidas Women’s Tracksuits For Lazy Day Lounging

Adidas Women's Tracksuits: The Ultimate Lounge Wear As the weather gets colder and the days…

October 24, 2024

You Might Also Like

Why AI is leading to boos at 2026 college graduations : NPR
World News

Why AI is leading to boos at 2026 college graduations : NPR

May 20, 2026
England ease to T20 win over White Ferns
World News

England ease to T20 win over White Ferns

May 20, 2026
Trump Brags About His Economy And Says ‘People Aren’t Seeing It Yet’
World News

Trump Brags About His Economy And Says ‘People Aren’t Seeing It Yet’

May 20, 2026
Nithya Raman faces growing criticism as residents and political allies question her leadership
World News

Nithya Raman faces growing criticism as residents and political allies question her leadership

May 20, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?