Thursday, 20 Aug 2026
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA
logo logo
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
  • 🔥
  • Trump
  • House
  • White
  • ScienceAlert
  • VIDEO
  • man
  • Trumps
  • Season
  • star
  • Years
Font ResizerAa
American FocusAmerican Focus
Search
  • World
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Tech & Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Education
    • Celebrities
    • Culture and Arts
    • Environment
    • Health and Wellness
    • Lifestyle
Follow US
© 2024 americanfocus.online – All Rights Reserved.
American Focus > Blog > World News > Iran’s soccer team cannot participate in the FIFA World Cup : NPR
World News

Iran’s soccer team cannot participate in the FIFA World Cup : NPR

Last updated: March 11, 2026 2:16 pm
Share
Iran’s soccer team cannot participate in the FIFA World Cup : NPR
SHARE



Iran’s flag is displayed on a screen during the draw for the 2026 FIFA Football World Cup taking place in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, D.C., on December 5, 2025. Iran’s sports minister says the team now won’t play in this summer’s tournament because of the U.S. attacks on Iran.

Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images

Iran cannot participate in this summer’s FIFA World Cup tournament, which is being co-hosted by the United States, the Iranian sports minister said Wednesday.

“Given that this corrupt government has assassinated our leader and created extreme insecurity, we cannot participate in the World Cup,” said Ahmad Donyamali in remarks broadcast on Iranian state television. “The players have no safety, and the conditions for participation simply don’t exist.”

The military campaign waged by the U.S., along with its ally Israel, began in late February. An Israeli strike on Feb. 28, partly enabled by American intelligence, killed the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and other high-ranking officials. At least 1,300 Iranian civilians have been killed, according to Amir Saeid Iravani, the country’s ambassador to the United Nations.

The new campaign follows last year’s 12-day conflict between Israel and Iran. That led to the deaths of more than 1,000 Iranians, according to the Iranian government.

See also  Israelis hold a mass funeral for Shiri Bibas and her sons : NPR

“In just eight or nine months, they have dragged us into two wars, killed thousands of our people, and committed grave atrocities,” Donyamali said. “Under these circumstances, attending the tournament is impossible.”

The World Cup is set to run from June 11 through July 19, with the U.S. as one of three co-hosts for the tournament alongside Canada and Mexico. Most games will take place in the U.S., including all three of Iran’s group stage matches, which are scheduled to take place in Los Angeles and Seattle.

It was not immediately clear whether Iran had formally withdrawn from the tournament. FIFA and the Iranian Football Federation did not immediately respond to NPR’s inquiries.

After FIFA president Gianni Infantino met with President Trump on Tuesday, Infantino said in a statement that Trump had “reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States.”

A team withdrawing from the World Cup so soon before it begins is without precedent in the modern era.

Under FIFA regulations, a team that withdraws from a tournament could face a fine of hundreds of thousands of dollars and a potential ban from future competition.

FIFA would have broad discretion to replace Iran in the tournament with another team, such as an alternate from the Asian Football Confederation, like Iraq or the United Arab Emirates.

TAGGED:CupFIFAIransNPRParticipatesoccerTeamWorld
Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Former WWE champion shares massive update about her missing brother Former WWE champion shares massive update about her missing brother
Next Article Michelle Obama Admits She and Barack Are ‘Navigating a New Phase’ of Marriage Michelle Obama Admits She and Barack Are ‘Navigating a New Phase’ of Marriage
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Popular Posts

Urban trees aren’t just nice, scientists say — they’re mandatory

Trees, often towering above us and filled with birds, are frequently overlooked, especially by city…

July 1, 2026

Koln vs RB Leipzig Prediction and Betting Tips

Koln is set to face RB Leipzig at the RheinEnergieStadion in an upcoming fixture of…

February 6, 2026

Abel Rodríguez, Amazon Basin Artist and Plant Expert, Has Died

Abel Rodríguez, also known as Mogaje Guihu or Don Abel, was a revered Nonuya and…

April 13, 2025

Stock picking small caps may boost performance right now

Stock picking is crucial when it comes to gaining exposure to small caps in the…

October 19, 2024

Under Armour says it’s ‘aware’ of data breach claims after 72M customer records were posted online

Under Armour, a popular clothing and fitness data company, is currently investigating claims of a…

January 22, 2026

You Might Also Like

Federal funding cuts test cyclosporiasis outbreak response : NPR
World News

Federal funding cuts test cyclosporiasis outbreak response : NPR

August 20, 2026
Trump-Endorsed Candidates Suffered A Streak Of Recent Defeats
World News

Trump-Endorsed Candidates Suffered A Streak Of Recent Defeats

August 20, 2026
Max Verstappen reveals why he chose a Red Bull extension over a team switch
Sports

Max Verstappen reveals why he chose a Red Bull extension over a team switch

August 20, 2026
Millionaire food entrepreneur once on Forbes 30 under 30 list was among 5 Americans killed in Kenyan helicopter crash
World News

Millionaire food entrepreneur once on Forbes 30 under 30 list was among 5 Americans killed in Kenyan helicopter crash

August 20, 2026
logo logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


Explore global affairs, political insights, and linguistic origins. Stay informed with our comprehensive coverage of world news, politics, and Lifestyle.

Top Categories
  • Crime
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • Tech and Science
Usefull Links
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • DMCA

© 2024 americanfocus.online –  All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?