Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are planning to return to the United Kingdom, a move described as a “private matter” by Prime Minister Andy Burnham.
Burnham, 56, informed the BBC on Thursday, August 20, that the security details concerning Harry, 41, Meghan, 45, and their two children are “private.” (Harry and Meghan are parents to Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5.)
“It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan,” Burnham remarked. “We wish them well in their upcoming move.”
Several media outlets, including the BBC, The Telegraph, and The New York Times, reported on Wednesday, August 19, that Harry and Meghan are relocating back across the pond. (The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved to California from England in 2020 after stepping down from their roles as senior working royals.)
Harry and Meghan have not publicly commented on their move. Us has reached out for their statement.
Harry’s father, King Charles III, was informed about the decision on Sunday, August 16. Currently, there are no plans for the Sussexes to resume their roles as working royals.
The BBC reports that Archie and Lili are set to attend a British school this fall, despite Meghan’s earlier concerns.
“I have a problem with that,” Meghan told The Cut in 2022, expressing that she would not be able to pick her children up from school due to immense public attention. “That doesn’t make me obsessed with privacy, that makes me a strong and good parent protecting my child.”
Harry has also been cautious about the intense media focus on his family. (He filed a lawsuit in 2025 for increased security measures, which was eventually dismissed in court.)
“I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the U.K. at this point,” Harry told the BBC in May 2025 after losing his legal appeal. “I love my country, I always have done, despite what some people in that country have done.”
While Harry felt it was “quite sad” that he might not be able to safely bring Archie and Lili to England, he remained hopeful for a reunion with his father and brother Prince William.
“I would love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore,” he stated then, acknowledging Charles’ battle with cancer. “Life is precious. I don’t know how much longer my father has.”
Harry and Meghan eventually managed to bring Archie and Lili to visit Charles and his wife Queen Camilla at their Highgrove House estate last month.
“[Charles and Camilla] wanted personal time with their grandchildren,” a source exclusively told Us in July. “They wanted it to be lighthearted and positive. The point of the meeting was to spend time with them, and that was the only thing on the agenda.”

